Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Star light Star bright

Dear "all you wunnerful readers",
My apologies for the hiatus, but i have been experiencing lots of life changing ordeals lately. To begin with, i must say that today was one of the those days of my life which i wanna cherish forever! the kinds which u never ever wanna erase from your memory.
Well, despite being an utterly difficult and opinionated and brutally honest friend that i have been ,Leia, one of my best friends has bestowed upon me the honor of being her bridesmaid! :)
This means a lot to me , or to any girl for that matter! i cannot express the happiness that i am experiencing.

I haven't mentioned on this blog ever , but i am a hardcore elegance and womanhood fanatic. i love the whole concept of corsets , Victorian era literature , architecture, teapots (those of u who've seen my photo blog would agree here)

Since Leia wants to have a prim n proper Victorian themed wedding, i get to wear an ornate 'Belgian lace gown'. PERFECT!!
right, more scoop on this will follow, the wedding's like a lot of months away so i can breathe and feel high about myself .

Anyway, today i realised something really amazing, my copy of catch22 has become so old that its pages have yellowed and the paper has become brittle and parchment quality. thats sheer bliss.
i have always adored old books with yellowed parchment paper and now i actually own one. it makes a whole lot more sense to me becz catch22 is one of my fave books. and i bought it with my own money. boy, am i growing up too soon or what?

Then i became all bookie -smelly and went down to the attic to have a look at all my old books.
i saw my fairy tales, my fables , my nursery rhymes,
i have inherited this from my mother - i never throw away a book .my house might look like a hundred year old library, but i will retain all the books i ever own. i still have my kindergarten sketch books, where I've made those silly little drawings with mountains and trees and triangular red brick houses.

As a kid i was an avid choral recitation lover. still am , just love the elocutions and recitals. i rber performing on one of the recitals in 5th grade where i recited the poem "Tummy Beast" by Roald Dahl! i won 2nd slot and after an hour of crying and hot chocolate fudge, became complacent.
I've grown up with Roald Dahl. No writer can ever hold such a place in my heart as did Dahl. i love him with all my heart.

After this particularly happy reunion with my old books, i felt really high. it left me with that magical warm feeling. and suddenly i realised that i was all grown up.
i feel having a great childhood is very important. i thank my parents for giving me all the joys i could ever think of. i mean , i cant imagine a life without books, rhymes , tea parties and daffodil dresses with satin ribbons. i 've been blessed.touch wood.
I'll part words now with this wunnerful rhyme that i loved as a kid and I'm sure all of u did too!
why, i still love it. :)

"Star light, star bright,
The first star I see tonight,
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have the wish I wish tonight."

PS i almost forgot, its september eleven everyone, lets pray for those poor people who lost their loved ones six years back on this day and lets hope that this evil war is over soon . may the souls rest in peace . and may the unfortunate minds who spread this unnecessary terror realise what an awful thing they're doing. let there be peace.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, are you the most beautiful , adorable, book loving, gorgeous woman in the world or are you??

Anu said...

aww, u sure have some great flattery skills, anyway, its still a "no" for you. hehe
btw, i must point out here, that i've joined "the noble and most ancient society of book smelling" on facebook. thank you very much.

Anu said...

ah n yes it was out of context. :)

Anonymous said...

Sure it was, you're random, we know.

Anu said...

@nick:stop commentin here like its some msnger window.

go n mourn, its september 11.

Anonymous said...

It's hard to find people interested in the victorian era, heck most girls despise it. and you will go all bookie smelly the moment you see MY humble collection.3711 and counting.

Anonymous said...

And what makes the dahl books better are the blake illustrations, dont you just love them?

UDit said...

well... i got no nostalgia abt stuff ur feeling.... old-yellowing books do fascinate me, but not as much as they do to u....
good for you...bridesmaid and all...my little friend is all grown up....*sob*....lol! be happy and enjoy!

Anu said...

@raghav: yes, i adore quentin blake. adore him!

@udit: aww, hehe, yes, i'm all grown up! u have too! muah

Ramit Singal said...

Old yellowing books are meant to be kept alone. Somewhere in the book shelf. I have a few yellowing ones - Robin Cook, the fountainhead, Blytons, heck even my Potter collection :P (or are those just food stains?) ...

Roald Dahl rules. Apart from his stories, I loved his two autobiographies :) Boy and Going Solo.

Anu said...

tell me about it!
boy and going solo is splendid.
personally, i liked "boy" better, it was a delight, one of the books ive read a couple of million times. one word.classic!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the Victorian era too!

pure style. Classic

Anu said...

and the language used, need i say more?
i love the victorian fashion too!
dont get me started!! :)

Anu said...

hmmm
seems no one went to see what tummy beast was like
:(

None said...

Um...that's coz everyone knows?

But I went there anyway after reading your comment, for no reason and it was of no use to me. =P

Anu said...

tsk tsk
i din know everyone knew
i mean how many ppl actually like dahl kinder kiddo poems when they're 18??
:(

Anonymous said...

one and counting..

also sadly enough i despise the victorian age, with all it's over-ornateness because the lines were messy. aside from stifling crinolines and bone crushing corsets and believeing in the whiteman's burden and all that 'jazz'. sorry but i do.

how can you like it nuu??

waddya mean bridesmaid? i feel like im reading someone else's blog...
and *ahem* who's this nikhil dude?

Anu said...

nikhil is an overtly flirtatious male homo sapien whose current muse is me.however i must point out that i have no such intentions whatsoever.

yes, im gonna be a bridesmaid, the fact dawned on me rather late and it was the most weird feeling in ze world to know dat one of my bitches is getting married!
phew!

oh n i love the victorian era becz of teh sheer beauty dat underlined every facet of society!
the white mans' burden is an obnoxious concept rendered my some really pathetic individuals who were shallow and racist and it has no influence on any of us great young ppl.

and surprisingly feludii, i do love corsets!
guilty as charged!! :)

Anonymous said...

that is too grown up. my brain has blanked out, but congrats!!! (for being the bridesmaid and to your friend for err.. getting married)

Anu said...

hehe.
easy woman, easy!