Sunday, October 14, 2007

Scent of a Woman


“Nothing is more memorable than a smell. One scent can be unexpected, momentary and fleeting, yet conjure up a childhood summer beside a lake in the mountains...”
Diane Ackerman.

I have been giving this some thought lately.
what is it about smell/scent that drives me crazy. I have this unusually deep inclination towards smells and scents. thing is , even when i was a young girl, like 7 or 8, i used to spend hours just smelling all of my mom's wide array of "expensive perfumes". the ones which mom's weird over friendly friends gave her on anniversaries or the ones which dad bought her on a birthday or something like that. mom never appreciated them, so i had the amazing opportunity to devour them.

No, but listen to me, I'm not talking about perfumes here, its not about perfumes! nuh huh! its about smell. MY SENSE OF SMELL. i think i have this elevated extra over working sense organ for my nose. I've always been this weird child following around my nose and getting driven by smells. i mean it seems like a disease. a disorder.
I remember me smelling my younger sister's camlin crayons, there was something about that smell. my sister thought i had a fit of insanity, silly mortal that she is. she cannot appreciate the fine nuances of life. nevermind. or even a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils. or or my ultimate super duper fantasy world of book smelling.

If you've had the rare chance of being close to me, you will realise that i have this innate passion for book smelling, i go wild when i enter a library , an old one. it's been my forever fantasy to own a library like the one the beast had in "beauty and the beast", if you don't know what that is and aren't interested in animated movies, then Fugger off, you are not welcome to read this mind space. [ oh n i totally DIG ANIMATED MOVIES]

So, when i was in junior school, my science teacher wore this particular perfume always, she was sorta identified with it. as much as , recently when i was at a mall, i suddenly became frantic and started looking for her everywhere becz i smelled her. my mom thought i was insane. my dad always says I'm a re-incarnation of a dog. my huge obsession with biscuits re assures his faith. this is the same person whose been buying me bvlgari, chanel, klein on all my birthdays. I've always maintained: Parents are the coolest things on earth! i rest my case.
by the way, you guys have got to check out my all time favorite cookie/ biscuit, actually its a cookie also masquerading as a cake. its "jaffa cakes", i mean of course i love oreos, but my loyalties lie with jaffa cakes!!! they super rock! you guys can get them at modern bazaar at priya, that's where i get them from, cz these dumb fuck silly supermarket people don have them.pity.

Anyway, after much ado, and deep thinking, i decided to have my own signature perfume, the whole idea is so swell.
i mean it totally enthralls me when i think of it. though loads of people have told me that i've got the bestest natural scent ever. [ studies reveal that attractive people have naturally attractive smells, so Jesus to blame fellas!! ]
but since natural scents aren't so powerful , so imma settle for an artificial one. in fact its already been a month since I've been wearing this perfume, i'm sure people are getting the hang of it!! though when i grow up, i might make my own perfume with my natural scents,hmmm.
Aite have a great weekend all ya' readers and a marvellous week ahead.
adios amigos

Disclaimer : One jaffa cake = 200 calories. don't tell me i din tell you.
:P

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm i just realised its been long since i met you, gotta hurry up with that. And wasn't I one of the first people to comment on ur natural smell thing?? you coldbitch!! you just had to mention that, dintcha?
ah well, we're used to you now :P

And are the jaffa cakes people paying you? As far as i think, you've introduced a thousand people to this devilish addiction!
woman, you spoil people! ;)

RG said...

hmm...

cake reminds me:

Link to great stuff
(the sound quality isn't so good though)

Anu said...

@ raghav: yes i wanna "convert" everyone. i'm so the frikkin revolutionary :D

@rohit: okay . WOW.
i totally loved that video. it was like so amusin and cute and sad and happy at the same time. you dig up the best things from where ever.
really nice :)

UDit said...

"The belief that fashion alone should dominate opinion has great advantages. It makes thought unnecessary and puts the highest intelligence within the reach of everyone. It is not difficult to learn the correct use of such words as 'complex,' 'sadism,' 'Oedipus,' 'bourgeois,' 'deviation,' 'left'; and nothing more is needed to make a brilliant writer or talker."
Thats Bertrand Russell for you!
anyway, i think our natural sweat is something we can live with... ain't really into this perfume stuff... anyhow, jaffa cakes huh? wasn't someone on a diet? ;... me would be more happy at u eating healthier food in greater quantities....

Anu said...

you're gonna spend ur life askin me to eat and i will forever stick to mt detox food. :D
and abt ur avoidance for perfumes, dude i think i'm wayyy too materialistic for you. hehe.

PS i want that bertrand russell book. now.

Ramit Singal said...

Oreos are awesome. Never tried Jaffa cakes. Will make sure I do though.

You like the smell of petrol? *Just asking* I dont, but many do. And I find that weird :S

And speaking of food, nothing smells better than something delicious :) Apart from maybe the smell of carrion when you are looking for a tiger ;)

And another thing, this is artrage
If you like drawing, you'll love it.

Anu said...

omg
I loved artrage, tis so freakin amazing!
and drawing is totally "my" thing :D

i dont like the smell of petrol , but i don mind it either; i cant , however tolerate the smell of mustard oil for some reason.

oreos are awesome. you might not like jaffa cakes.
its like , you either like it or you dont. hope u do though :)

Anu said...

oh n i cannot believe i didn't know what artrage was, i mean how can i be so unaware??
:O

Anonymous said...

Jaffa cakes are in your detox diet??
huh?
Never mind,
Looking forward to the perfume i am :D

Anu said...

*cough* jerk *cough*

hehe
kiddin
i'll send u one of the first complimentary bottles as part of the launch , k?

oh n i'm not always detoxifying u loonyy freak!